Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Things I've Learned

In my travel blogging class today, our teacher asked us if being over here had changed any of us, or if we were trying to better ourselves in some way from our experiences. I decided to post my answer to those of you who are kind enough to read my blog, in case you ever needed some advice:


This trip has definitely inspired me to keep moving. To not "sleep through my experiences." That being said in both the literal and non-literal sense. Yes, I do love to sleep. Give me a morning to sleep in and I will happily sleep until the afternoon. But I am trying my best to not just sleep through everything. There is so much jam packed into England itself that I want to see! In the non-literal meaning of not "sleeping" is that I want to be open and receptive of places I go and things I see. I do not want to just pass by them in a haze, lost in my own thoughts or something else. Like this morning I had to walk 20 minutes from my friends flat (where I spent the night) back to campus. It was around 8:30 and the sun was bright, and I could have very easily grumbled and walked and not noticed the school girls going to their academy in their purple and gold uniforms, which are my high school colors. I could have not noticed ass of the shops, lined up in a row, each colorful and different in their own unique fashion. I could have not looked in my reflection passing those shops to see if anyone was following me. I also could have not noticed the heavenly smell as the bakeries and cafes opened for the morning. The smell of fresh pastries and hot, warm, coffee, made my stomach grumble but I only had my bus pass, my room key, and two pounds, so I had to let that one go. I could have not...  well you get the gist.  
               I also have tried to take every opportunity that comes my way. Like going out to a club crawl (apparently one of the biggest student nights of the year) last night; or going to a pub with friends for an hour instead of staying in and catching up on TV series. I just keep telling myself that this will be an adventure and I never know what is going to happen, or who I am going to meet, or what I am going to see. You never know unless you take that chance, right? 

P.S. My 96 year old great-grandmother just added me on Skype. This should be interesting :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment